Happy December! I’m excited to introduce you to my newest pattern, the Oxbow Tote!
Here’s a quick list of the pattern’s features:
- two sizes to sew! Regular and Overnight!
- secure zipper top
- reinforced base
- removable crossbody strap
- easy access front pocket
- instructions for quilting, perfect if you want to use that gorgeous quilting cotton for the exterior!
The Oxbow Tote pattern is a versatile zippered top tote bag in two sizes to sew! Features an easy-access front pocket, reinforced base, crossbody strap, and a roomy interior with a slip pocket. Customize yours by quilting!
- The Regular size is a perfect work bag. It’s roomy but not bulky! It fits a laptop and notebooks with plenty of room to spare.
- The Overnight size is just that, perfect for an Overnight trip! Now, depending on what you pack and the season, it would work for a weekend trip, too! Be sure to check out the finished dimensions in the pattern listing before commiting to a certain size!
I hope you’ll love this new pattern! I’ve been BUSY sewing up a bunch of samples. My main inspiration for this tote was my daughters. They’re both the age where they’re doing plenty of traveling and overnight stuff. The Cargo Duffles I made them 10 years ago were in need of replacement! Funny enough, for all the use they gave those duffles, they really held up so well! The cute little prints were outgrown a while ago (but I mean, I love them hedgehogs and kites – love!). So they were both asking for an updated bag to take to sleepovers and for traveling.
I’ve kept the interior fairly uncomplicated with a generous-sized slip pocket that you can divide up to your heart’s desire. As always, if you’re a seasoned bag maker, feel free to take this as a starting point and add whatever suits you! That’s the best part of making something yourself!
Curious about the name? Oxbow is a word for a bend in a river. I grew up on the Mississippi river, so no surprise there why I picked it!
TODAY through December 17th only (ends Sunday, December 17th at 10 pm CST) purchase your PDF for 20% off! No code needed!
The Oxbow Tote features a fun construction method, a fun zippered top with a twist! The Reinforced Base is a fun take and adds a layer of durability. I’ll be doing a full video sew-along soon (keep reading for more information on that!).
This pattern is really a scrap buster’s dream! I don’t think there’s a fabric I wouldn’t think would be a good fit. Twill, denim, canvas, dry oilskin, waxed canvas, pre-quilted fabric, Essex (cotton/linen blend), even most quilting cottons are all great choices. And depending on what types of fabric you choose, that will partially determine the interfacing you’ll choose.
Okay, bag makers, this might be the most fun pattern because there are so many great options for interfacing this bag! I know I’ve been stuck waiting for supplies because I forgot to order more of my favorite interfacing. Have you? Well, I’m happy to say, there are so many great options for different fabrics and interfacings for the Oxbow Tote. It’s really endless and you’ll probably be able to work with fabrics/interfacings you already have in your stash! I’ll be sharing a video walk through of my samples and discussing in depth what fabrics and interfacings I used for each. Be sure to stay tuned for that!
Lastly, this pattern is written for fixed-length size zippers, but I also give instructions for using zipper by the yard/continuous zipper. I have a bunch of new colors of handbag zippers in my shop in both lengths (for the Regular and Overnight sizes)! If you’re going for the continuous zipper route, I’ve been using #5 zips on some of my samples. Such a great option!
- I am very excited to show you more samples! I’ll be diving into the details of each of the samples that I’ve made with in-depth blog posts – so be sure to stop by my blog in the coming weeks for those!
- For those of you who prefer paper patterns, I’m hoping to have those ready in a month or so. Thank you for your enthusiasm & patience!
- Lastly, yes!, I am planning on having a sew-along for the Oxbow! I think we can cover everything in 3 installments. I’ll be getting that prepared for the new year – think beginning to mid-January.
- I will be hosting the sew-along here on my blog instead of an email based sew-along. And yes, there will be full sew through videos.
- So keep an eye out here for more details coming next weeks!
Supplies for the Oxbow:
Available in my shop:
- 18″ handbag zipper (Regular size) OR 24″ handbag zipper (Overnight size)
- 1.5″(38mm)-wide webbing (you’ll need a quantity of 4 yards – both sizes use that amount)
- crossbody strap hardware kit (available in antique brass and nickel)
- leather zipper pulls or waxed cord for that finishing touch!
Hope that covers everything! I’ll be blogging about all the samples I’ve made separately! A huge thank you for being here! I’m so excited to see what you make.