Oh my gosh you guys!!!! I am so thrilled with this project! My daughter went on her school trip to Disney last week and she requested a mini backpack. You know I love a backpack and I love making things my kids love and use. So I started out thinking I would make her my Making Backpack! I asked her about what size she wanted and she gave me some measurements from the mini Kånken by Fjallraven (it’s a Swedish based company and their Kånken style backpack has been around since 1978). It’s a total classic! And there are patterns that have similar features so that you can sew up your own – Sarah Kirsten’s Raspberry Rucksack and here’s a quick search for a few others. So this Mini Franken-Kånken was made!
I knew I was still going to use the base construction of my Making Backpack pattern, so I shrunk down the size and added some of those great Kånken details! I used the pop-up pocket from Sarah’s Raspberry Rucksack pattern (which she had kindly gifted to me when she released her pattern). It’s a very clever pocket design! The remaining aspects of the backpack were done on the fly and in combination the Making Backpack details. I had given myself only part of a day to make the bag – nothing like a deadline! It was so fun to see it come together – I even managed to take some fun video and will probably put together a reel for IG. Gotta have fun!
Okay, so here’s the details for the supplies I used, which were also such a fun part of this project! I had sent my daughter a bunch of pictures and together we pulled some fabrics that would work. And I love them! There’s so many great options for beautiful fabrics that you really can’t go wrong!
- Pattern: based off my Making Backpack pattern (sized down with Kånken inspired details and Raspberry Rucksack pocket) – a Mini Franken-Kånken, hahah!
- Fabrics: Dry Oilskin from Zipper Zoo (this is the Smokey Orange color which I plan to buy a ton more of), lining is Louise Cunningham for Cloud9 Fabrics from her Arid Wilderness collection, interior binding is Interweave Chambray by Robert Kaufman Fabrics (I only added SF101 to the lining pieces – I think it worked great).
- Interior zipper is Monster Snot from my shop (this is a 6″ zip),
- Exterior main zipper and pocket zipper is zipper by-the-yard from Zipper Valley – and oh so beautiful!
- Hardware and leather pulls are both from my shop
- Webbing in both 1″ and 1.5″ are Smokey Orange from Zipper Zoo!
- Leather patch (comes in my Making Backpack kit), and I stamped it with her initials using an alphabet stamping set from Tandy Leather (it’s the only set I have and has worked great for years!)
Let me know if you’d like to see me add this size option to the Making Backpack pattern. I won’t be able to do the same pocket as Sarah’s (that I used in this sample), but I think I could come up with a fun alternate pocket design to include.